The definition of spiritual self-care is any ritual or practice that we do to further our connection with our higher self. Your higher self is who you truly are as an individual, the real you. Your higher self is you that is disassociated from, and not influenced by, the ego or fear.
You have a spiritual side, but sometimes when you start looking for self-help books online, it can be hard to find what helps you the most. And the worst part is that you don’t even know what topics should you search under! Our compilation of best spiritual books of all time is all you need
My own spiritual journey when I picked up a copy of Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist. It wasn’t the first book of this kind that I had read, but for the first time, I felt open to receiving the guidance within those pages.
I don’t know whether I was just in the right frame of mind when I came across this book or whether it was Coelho’s parable about life that spoke to me, but from then on, I felt compelled to take Coelho’s words to heart, and look inside myself.
Similarly, the following twelve books have been largely influential for spiritual seekers all over the world. While some are more timeless than others, each will likely inspire you to further your own spiritual journey.
powerful spiritual books
1. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Photo: Simon & Schuster
Written by Australian television producer Rhonda Byrne, and based on a documentary she created in 2006 of the same title, The Secret tells of the laws of attraction: asking for what you want, believing in what you want, and being open to receiving it.
With a basis in the 19th century New Thought movement, Byrne’s book has proven to be a cultural phenomenon, making the number one spot on The New York Times bestseller list.
While some consider the book little more than slick marketing and the re-packaging of many other spiritual beliefs, the book’s cultural significance cannot be denied. The Secret: Dare to Dream, a movie based on the book and featuring Katie Holmes and Josh Lucas, is coming out in 2020.
2. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
Photo: Grand Central Publishing
In 1993, author James Redfield wrote and self-published his first book, The Celestine Prophecy. Since its initial publishing, it has gone on to become one the most successful self-published novels ever. The novel spent more than three years on The New York Times bestseller list.
The book is part adventure story and part New Age spiritual novel. The book details one man’s journey through Peru as he uncovers nine spiritual insights. While many have found the plot corny, the insights within captivate the reader into shifting their perspective.
3. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist tells the simple tale of a shepherd who journeys from Spain to the pyramids of Egypt in search of a treasure. On his way, he encounters many obstacles and distractions, which he overcomes to achieve his personal legend or dream: finding the treasure. Through The Alchemist, Coelho explains how only when one devotes themselves to their dream can they reach true happiness, without regret or suffering.
4. The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by Dalai Lama XIV and Howard C. Cutler
Photo: Penguin Random House
Inspired by the Dalai Lama’s joyful nature despite the political situation in Tibet, author Howard C. Cutler wanted to write a spiritual book focused toward a Western audience.
The Art of Happiness is about the importance and attainability of happiness in everyday living. The purpose of life is to find happiness, which is determined by one’s mental state, despite outside circumstances. This is a book likely to stand the test of time because it speaks to people without the use of spiritual rules or religious guidelines.
5. A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
Photo: Eckhart Tolle
Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth is about reducing the ego as a means to feeling the abundance of life, because the ego is the source of all inner and outer conflict. Tolle’s spiritual writing was already established and popular thanks to The Power of Now, but it gained in popularity after Oprah selected it for her book club. Since then, Tolle’s book about the awakened consciousness has influenced millions.
6. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra
Photo: Amber-Allen Publishing
In his classic book, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, Deepak Chopra discusses the importance of success in life. For Chopra, success is defined as happiness and the realization of goals, although success is not limited to wealth.
Chopra lays down seven laws found in nature used to create spiritual success. These laws include karma (cause and effect) and dharma (purpose in life). Chopra’s popularity lies in the way he is able to take ancient Vedic teachings and present them to a Western audience. He sold 2.3 million copies of this book, which has been translated into 30 languages.
7. The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
Photo: Simon & Schuster
Dr. M. Scott Peck’s 1978 The Road Less Traveled takes his ideas from his background both as a psychiatrist and as a born-again Christian. His book details the attributes that Peck feels make a fulfilled human being. Split into three sections, his book talks about discipline (as a means for spiritual evolution), love (as a force for spiritual growth) and grace. The Road Less Traveled spent more than 10 years on The New York Times bestseller list.
8. Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
Photo: Simon & Schuster
The tale has captured readers’ imaginations for 50 years. Richard Bach’s novella reveals the story of Jonathan, a seagull whose passion for flying makes him different from other seagulls. His wish to perfect his flying results in being outcast from his group. At first devastating, the experience culminates in him moving to a “higher plane” where he meets other seagulls like him, and his subsequent return to his flock. Jonathan is a symbol to all those who refuse to conform for the sake of conforming, instead teaching love, forgiveness, and how to reach your true potential.
9. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert
Photo: Penguin Random House
After a bitter divorce, author Elizabeth Gilbert took a year off to travel. She visited Italy, where she indulged in worldly pleasures. She went to India to learn about spirituality. And finally, ended her journey in Bali, where she was able to discover a balance between the two and find love.
Gilbert’s book Eat, Pray, Love details the spiritual journey of someone in a tremendous amount of pain to becoming a balanced, loving human. Her story has resonated with readers everywhere, landing on The New York Times bestseller list, and eventually being made into a movie starring Julia Roberts.
10. Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life’s Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom
Photo: Penguin Random House
Mitch Albom’s Tuesdays with Morrie is a memoir based on a series of interviews with Morrie Schwartz, Albom’s former mentor and professor who was dying of Lou Gehrig’s disease. Even after his death, Morrie has continued to touch people as he passes on his ideas of love, shunning popular celeb culture in favor of more nurturing values. Tuesdays with Morrie has sold 17 million copies and inspired a TV movie starring Hank Azaria and Jack Lemmon.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD SPIRITUAL BOOK?
There are many benefits of reading spiritual books. Some of my favourites are:
- They help you to see things from perspectives that you might not have considered
- They provide clarity on thoughts and experiences that you’ve already had
- They help to expand your knowledge on spiritual themes
- They give us opportunities for self reflection and spiritual growth
With these benefits in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best spiritual books of all time!
best spiritual books of all time
1. A Monk’s Guide to Happiness: Meditation in the 21st Century – Gelong Thubten2. A New Earth: Create a Better Life – Eckhart Tolle3. A Return to Love – Marianne Williamson4. Anger: Buddhist Wisdom for Cooling The Flames – Thich Nhat Hanh5. Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires – Esther and Jerry Hicks6. Be Here Now – Ram Dass7. Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon – Dr. Joe Dispenza8. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear – Elizabeth Gilbert9. Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps – Richard Rohr10. The Celestine Prophecy – James Redfield11. Change your Thoughts, Change your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao – Dr Wayne W. Dyer12. Conversations with God – Neale Donald Walsch13. Dear Universe: 200 Mini-Meditations for Instant Manifestations – Sarah Prout14. DMT, The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor’s Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mysical Experiences – Rick Strassman15. Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System as a Path to the Self – Anodea Judith16. Eat Pray Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything – Elizabeth Gilbert17. Everything Is Here to Help You: A Loving Guide to Your Soul’s Evolution – Matt Kahn18. Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives – Michael Newton19. Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul – Melody Beattie20. Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender – David R. Hawkins21. Light Is The New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Soul’s Callings and Working Your Light – Rebecca Campbell22. Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World – Mark Williams and Danny Penman23. Moonology: Working with the Magic of Lunar Cycles – Yasmin Boland24. No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering – Thich Nhat Hanh25. Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life – Thich Nhat Hanh26. Raise Your Vibration: 111 Practices to Increase Your Spiritual Connection – Kyle Gray27. Rise Sister Rise: A Guide to Unleashing the Wise, Wild Woman Within – Rebecca Campbell28. Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential – Caroline Myss29. Siddhartha – Hermann Hesse30. Signs: The Secret Language of the Universe – Laura Lynne Jackson31. Stillness Speaks: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment – Eckhart Tolle32. The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream – Paulo Coelho33. The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living – The Dalai Lama34. The Astonishing Power of Emotions: Your Inner Guide to the Law of Attraction – Esther and Jerry Hicks35. The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have – Mark Nepo36. The Book of Secrets: 112 Meditations to Discover the Mystery Within – Osho37. The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles and Belief – Gregg Braden38. The Field – Lynne McTaggart39. The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom – Don Miguel Ruiz40. The Mind Illuminated: A Complete Meditation Guide – John Yates and Matthew Immergut41. The Miracle of Mindfulness: The Classic Guide – Thich Nhat Hanh42. The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari – Robin Sharma43. The Power Is Within You – Louise Hay44. The Power of Crystal Healing: Change Your Energy and Live a High Vibe Life – Emma Lucy Knowles45. The Power of Intention: Learning to Co-Create Your World Your Way – Dr. Wayne W. Dyer46. The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment – Eckhart Tolle47. The Road Less Travelled – Scott Peck48. The Seat of the Soul – Gary Zukav49. The Secret – Rhonda Byrne50. The Power – Rhonda Byrne51. The Magic – Rhonda Byrne52. Hero – Rhonda Byrne53. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams – Deepak Chopra54. The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down: How to be Calm in a Busy World – Haemin Sunim55. The Universe Has Your Back: How to Feel Safe and Trust Your Life No Matter What – Gabrielle Bernstein56. The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself – Michael A. Singer57. Waking Up: Searching for Spirituality Without Religion – Sam Harris58. You Are The Universe: Discovering Your Cosmic Self and Why It Matters – Deepak Chopra and Menas Kafatos 59. You Can Heal Your Life – Louise Hay60. Your Soul’s Plan: Discovering the Real Meaning of the Life You Planned Before You Were Born – Robert Schwartz